Law Office of Jacqueline McNuttLaw Office of Jacqueline McNutt

Your Family Is Our Focus


view our Practice areas

Modifying child support after switching jobs

People in Texas change jobs for all kinds of reasons. Some are tired of hostile workplaces while others accept higher paying positions or ones with better benefits. Whatever the reason, a noncustodial parent who switches jobs should be sure to find out whether he or she needs to modify a child support order.

When a noncustodial parent takes a new job with a smaller paycheck, he or she might not be able to afford the same amount of support any longer. In this situation, a petition should be filed with the court, asking for a modification of a current order. A judge might review the request, take the new income into account and agree to the modification. This would result in a lower amount of monthly support.

On the other hand, taking on a job that pays more can also mean that a change is in order. The custodial parent can also choose to ask for a modification. If a judge believes that the noncustodial parent can afford to pay more because of a new job, then he or she could modify the order to reflect that.

Custodial parents probably do not want to receive any less in monthly support, and noncustodial parents might not want to pay more. However, parents should either receive or pay the appropriate amount for meeting a child's needs within their financial means. This is why it does not hurt to ask a Texas judge to reconsider a support order if a parent believes that the monthly payments no longer reflect that.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Let Us Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

San Marcos Office
1712 N IH 35
San Marcos, TX 78666

Phone: 512-212-4840
Fax: 512-727-0165
Map & Directions

Lockhart Office
1013 W San Antonio Street
Lockhart, TX 78644

Map & Directions

  • Pay Bills
  • LAWPAY Credit card processing
  • Visa MasterCard