Your Family Is
Our Focus


San Marcos Texas Legal Blog

Modifying child support after switching jobs

On Behalf of | Jan 29, 2020 | Child Support |

People in Texas change jobs for all kinds of reasons. Some are tired of hostile workplaces while others accept higher paying positions or ones with better benefits. Whatever the reason, a noncustodial parent who switches jobs should be sure to find out whether he or she needs to modify a child support order.

When a noncustodial parent takes a new job with a smaller paycheck, he or she might not be able to afford the same amount of support any longer. In this situation, a petition should be filed with the court, asking for a modification of a current order. A judge might review the request, take the new income into account and agree to the modification. This would result in a lower amount of monthly support.

On the other hand, taking on a job that pays more can also mean that a change is in order. The custodial parent can also choose to ask for a modification. If a judge believes that the noncustodial parent can afford to pay more because of a new job, then he or she could modify the order to reflect that.

Custodial parents probably do not want to receive any less in monthly support, and noncustodial parents might not want to pay more. However, parents should either receive or pay the appropriate amount for meeting a child’s needs within their financial means. This is why it does not hurt to ask a Texas judge to reconsider a support order if a parent believes that the monthly payments no longer reflect that.