Law Office of Jacqueline McNuttLaw Office of Jacqueline McNutt

Your Family Is Our Focus


view our Practice areas

Modifications are sometimes necessary after divorce

Ending a marriage can be an emotionally taxing process, and reaching the best possible solution to important matters like child support, custody and more usually feels like a monumental achievement. So what are you supposed to do when something gets in the way of your divorce agreements? You may have to go back to court for a modification or enforcement order. 

The old saying goes that the only consistent in life is change, and this is true even if you have post-divorce court orders in place. However, if you or your ex experience a significant life change, you will need to petition the Texas family law court for a modification of any relevant orders. Common reasons to request modifications include: 

  • A change in income 
  • Relocation that will affect child custody 
  • A child's special needs 
  • An increase in children's expenses 

Requesting a modification as soon as you or your ex realize that you cannot pay your child support, make your alimony payments or abide by your custody agreements is essential. For example, simply being financially unable to pay child support does not excuse you from doing so, and courts will expect you to keep up with payments unless the order is modified. If you continue down a path of nonpayment you could face enforcement issues, which can land you in contempt of an order -- a place where you do not want to be. 

Family law issues are complicated in Texas, and many parents struggle to meet their legal and financial obligations after a divorce. Modifications can help you update current support orders to better reflect your current situation and help avoid being hit with an enforcement order. For more information about modifications, enforcements and other family law topics, be sure to visit our website

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Let Us Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

San Marcos Office
1712 N IH 35
San Marcos, TX 78666

Phone: 512-212-4840
Fax: 512-727-0165
Map & Directions

Lockhart Office
1013 W San Antonio Street
Lockhart, TX 78644

Map & Directions

  • Pay Bills
  • LAWPAY Credit card processing
  • Visa MasterCard